CH2M HILL assists Oregon Asian trade delegation
January 21, 2013 - On October 17 at the Shanghai Center's Shanghai Portman Ritz-Carlton Hotel, U.S. Oregon state Governor John Kitzhaber and his Asian trade mission hosted a seminar titled "Doing Business in Oregon." The seminar focused on sustainable business practices and increasing trade between Oregon and China. CH2M HILL was invited to participate in the event as a co-organizer.
Seminar at the Shanghai Center's Shanghai Portman Ritz-Carlton Hotel
Around the theme of sustainable development, the seminar emphasized four highlights:
- The Oregon business climate: tax advantages, logistics, workforce
- Legal aspects of doing business in the U.S. and Oregon
- Oregon's energy advantage
- A company testimonial by CH2M HILL on doing business in Oregon
John Zhang (AT Director, I&AT China) also delivered a speech on CH2M HILL in China and the strong ties between CH2M HILL's U.S. and China operations.
The day before the seminar, the Oregon business trade mission visited CH2M HILL's Shanghai office and held a preparatory meeting there.
The delegation consisted of eight individuals representing interests in state business development, utilities, research, sustainability, development and global trade. They were welcomed by Dick Sheehy (I&AT Director of Advanced Planning), John Zhang and Jeff Sheng (Managing Director, I&AT China).
The participants had a productive discussion on the following four topics:
- China-based manufacturing capacity
- Status of central government/bank financial support to industry
- Anticipated new innovative industrial products/technology emerging in the Chinese market
- Status of Chinese solar inverter manufacturing and global market penetration
During the stay of Governor Kitzhaber and the Asian trade mission to Shanghai, CH2M HILL also facilitated an interview for the Mayor of Taicang City of Jiangsu Province with the Governor and some members of the mission, and discussed the possibility of setting up a "Sister City" relationship between Taicang City and the Beaverton community in the Portland area where Nike's world headquarters is located. Both sides believe this relationship would have far-reaching significance in promoting bilateral trade.
Thanks to CH2M HILL's Asia Pacific Regional newsletter.
To view more news click here.